During the COVID-19 lockdown, local courthouses are only open to essential services and will not be accepting physical Disputes Tribunal application documents for filing. However, during the lockdown period the ability to file a Disputes Tribunal application online will still remain.

Please note: 

• Any Disputes Tribunal applications received may not receive registry attention until after the lockdown period has concluded.

• All existing hearings scheduled to be heard during the Covid-19 lockdown period will not be proceeding. Parties will receive new Notices of Hearing from the Ministry once the lockdown period has been lifted.

Making a claim is also known as filing or lodging a claim.

Apply online

It’s quickest and easiest to apply online

apply online button

When you apply online your application will be sent straight to the Disputes Tribunal Team who will confirm your application and schedule a hearing.

  • no need to visit a court until your hearing
  • you can upload any additional documents online
  • we will contact you directly if any additional information is needed.

Or file a claim by paper

You'll need to fill in and send us the Disputes Tribunal claim form.

Claim form [PDF, 214 KB]

You’ll need to give us 3 copies of the form and any other documents.

Mail or deliver your claim to us

Postal address:
Ministry of Justice

Or you can deliver your claim to your local District Court.

How to pay when you apply by paper form

  • By post or courier: you must pay by cheque (made out to ‘Ministry of Justice’). Don’t send cash in the post.
  • You can pay by EFTPOS, credit card or cash at your local court.

Find your local court(external link)

Get help

You can get help making a claim from:

You usually need to make a claim within 6 years after the event that caused the dispute. If you can't make the claim within 6 years, you should talk with a lawyer.

If you can’t afford a lawyer you may be able to get:

This page was last updated: