Covid-19 Disputes Tribunal Protocol for Auckland at Level 3
- This protocol has been set in light of the announcement made by the Prime Minister that Auckland will move to Level 3 at noon on 12 August 2020.
- Commencing from noon 12 August, all Disputes Tribunal hearings which have been scheduled in the Auckland region up to and including 14 August are cancelled and will be rescheduled.
- After that date, and throughout the period Auckland remains in Level 3, hearings will take place by teleconference. If telephone contact details are not available for all parties, these hearings will be rescheduled to a later date.
Covid-19 Disputes Tribunal Protocol for hearings in regions other than Auckland
- Under Level 2, the Disputes Tribunal will have some changes to its normal operating procedure in that hearings may be by teleconference.
- Parties affected by any change to the Tribunal’s usual operating procedures will be advised of those changes and provided with information to ensure that they understand how their matter will be handled by the Tribunal.
- This protocol applies until revoked or modified by the Tribunal.
Principal Disputes Referee
12 August 2020
The Disputes Tribunal is quicker, cheaper and less formal than court. You can use the Tribunal to settle small claims up to $30,000.
As a result of the recent move to Alert Level 1 all Disputes Tribunal Hearings are now being held in person as they were prior to the various Alert Levels being introduced.
Please note: Where appropriate teleconferences may still be an option for a party to attend a Disputes Tribunal hearing.
The Disputes Tribunal isn't like a formal court. You usually represent yourself in a hearing - a lawyer can’t represent you, and there are no judges.
You can use the Disputes Tribunal to settle disputes involving small claims so you don't have to go to court.
You'll need to fill out a form plus pay a fee and give us specific information to make a claim.
What to do if you've gotten a notice of hearing that someone has made a claim against you in the Disputes Tribunal.
How to prepare for a hearing at the Disputes Tribunal and what happens at a hearing.
Fees to apply to the Disputes Tribunal depend on the amount the claim is for.
You can find a Disputes Tribunal at almost every District Court in New Zealand - they share the same contact details with the court.
This page was last updated: