On this page:

You can use the Disputes Tribunal to settle disputes without going to court.

The Tribunal is:

  • for small claims up to $30,000
  • quicker, cheaper and less formal than court
  • legally binding (you must follow its decisions).

Types of disputes the Tribunal can help with

The Tribunal can help with disputes about:

Car accidents or other vehicle issues

For example, disputes about:

  • damage to a car in an accident
  • damage to a bike in an accident
  • damage to a vehicle when someone borrowed it.

Your house or flat

For example, disputes about:

  • fences
  • tree roots damaging drains
  • damage to property
  • property that’s been borrowed and not returned
  • flatmates not doing what they agreed to.

Buying goods or services

For example, disputes about:

  • goods that don’t work properly
  • whether a tradesman has done work properly
  • the amount of money charged for work done
  • loss caused by misleading advertising
  • disputed debts.

Business deals

For example, disputes about:

  • contracts
  • business agreements.

You can use the Tribunal even if you’ve signed an agreement saying that you won’t.  

Back to top

Types of disputes the Tribunal can't help with

We can’t deal with disputes about:

  • renting (disputes between landlords and tenants) or body corporate issues
  • rates, taxes, social welfare benefits or ACC payments
  • intellectual property (copyright and who owns an idea or creative work)
  • employment
  • wills
  • land
  • family law issues such as relationship property and care of children
  • debts when the person owing the money agrees they owe the debt but doesn’t pay anyway. In other words, you can’t use the Tribunal as a debt collection agency.

Many areas have their own ways you can settle disputes, for example:

Tenancy Services(external link)

Weathertight Homes Tribunal(external link)

Employment New Zealand(external link)

If you have a civil dispute for between $30,000 and $350,000, you’ll usually go to the District Court. For larger or more complex disputes you’ll usually go to the High Court.

Back to top

This page was last updated: